MONROE COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
GUIDANCE FOR LEMONADE DAY PARTICIPANTS
The Monroe County Department of Public Health has been advised by the New York State Department of Health that the requirement for issuing of permits can be waived for lemonade stands (serving lemonade only) operated as part of the Lemonade Day events in June 2015.
Operators of stands must comply with the following requirements to ensure that lemonade is prepared and served safely at these events:
1) Only water from an approved municipal source or that is commercially bottled may be used.
Do not use garden hoses or private well water.
2) All pitchers, scoops, utensils, equipment and containers used in the preparation and storage of lemonade should be cleaned in a dish washing machine with chlorinated detergent or washed, rinsed and then sanitized in a sink by immersing in bleach water (use 1oz bleach per 3 gallons of water).
3) Do not work if you are sick. All participants, regardless of role, must be healthy.
4) Use clean disposable gloves and/or utensils to handle ice, lemons and sugar. Wash hands prior to wearing and changing gloves. Change gloves if they become soiled or contaminated.
5) Use only commercially bagged ice.
6) Protect all items from contamination. Keep items off ground and covered.
7) Use only single service clean cups (paper or plastic disposable).
The Monroe County Department of Public Health will respond to complaints of improper food handling issues at these events.